Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Seattle MineCraft - Creating a Server (Part 1)

A few months ago I bought MineCraft, it was in alpha then, and played around in single player quite a bit. It kept my attention for a while, but I felt the need for more... (I love multi-player everything)... After a few weeks multi-player servers started popping up and the client was being updated every few days courtesy of the creator, Notch.

I just so happened to have a spare PC laying around. I recently built a new desktop :3 (Maybe i'll tell you about it later~). I decided to take that spare PC, get it running, and install MineCraft server on it. First things first, I obtained a stripped down Windows Server 2008 (for educational and MineCraft purposes).



The First Attempt: MCAdmin


At first I wanted something simple that a friend and I could mess around on. After about 35 seconds of googling I came across MCAdmin. The developer recently admitted to including sneaky code within it that gave him uber permissions on all servers that used it.. Apparently people weren't happy. The issue had been taken care of it, and my feelings were never hurt. Since this seemed to be a simple solution, I went with it.

You might be thinking.. "waht the eff is MCAdmin? Why is it easy?!"

Well... It's easy because it comes packaged with the latest minecraft server files from the official site. It has a GUI (graphical user interface) interface, and it automatically updates itself along with automatically updating if the official server files become updated.

Along with easy install, setup, etc, every server that runs MCAdmin is listed somewhere on the MCAdmin web site (I didn't actually look for it). I liked the idea of having randoms join my server and help with building.

**note** not many people joined when I was running MCAdmin, a few, but not a lot.

As far as bells and whistles are concerned, MCAdmin didn't have any. It was a vanilla server with default MineCraft fun. There may be some plugin support, but it wasn't something I spent a lot of time looking into. It seemed to perform well, but I had issues allocating more than 2046MB of RAM to it. With a few of us playing that seemed to do just fine.

If you're interested in a server wrapper that has more potential, look for Part 2.

I'm creating a separate post with basic setup information, along with a few things that took me longer than it should have to realize.

No comments: